Similar to hydro-excavation (without the water), air knifing utilizes high velocity air to penetrate, expand, and break up soil. The soil is then removed from the area using a powerful vacuum. Air knifing (aka potholing or daylighting) includes all of the advantages of hydro-excavation. In addition, air knifing results in dry soil waste, which typically reduces disposal costs compared to the slurry produced through hydro-excavation.
Typical air knife applications Include:
- Surgical excavation around known or suspected utilities
- Pre-drilling location clearance
- Underground utility location verification
- Underground piping and conduit repairs
- Rehabilitation/desilting of small diameter injection wells